Skip to main content

The Plant (Installments 4-6) (~1984)



Before reading: This feels bittersweet. I'm excited to finish this one and to finally see the plant in action. However, I'm terrified of the fact that it isn't finished. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I'm hoping it ends in a way that leaves me satisfied but still wanting more rather than it just feeling unfinished. Guess there is only one way to find out...

After reading: My worst nightmare came true. Cliffhanger. If this book never gets finished, when I die, my life will also be unfinished. Maybe it isn't that dramatic but I'm feeling sad at the moment. This has the potential to be one of my top King books. I'm very sad that I will be ranking it lower than it deserves because of the fact it is unfinished. I'm very sad that I had to read an unfinished book. This is sad blog hours.

The Plant is so good! It has so much potential! I really enjoyed reading these last three installments since they were longer than the previous three. It felt more like reading a novel then my past experience with this work had. Everything was coming together so beautifully. We got so much buildup and started to get into the thick of the action. What was going to happen next?! This is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. Also, Stephen King was randomly a character all of a sudden...that was fun. This entire story is a lot of fun. It reminds me a lot of Severance on Apple TV (which if you aren't watching, you need to stop what you're doing and go watch it immediately). It is like this dystopian, dark, workplace comedy, thriller. Which, apparently, I'm into. There really isn't too much more I can say that I haven't already said in previous installments. I wish I had more to say because I wish I had MORE, in general. What is going on, Stephen?! Why are you sitting on this?! Honestly, if he went back and edited this to be less problematic (sign of the times, yawn) and finished the dang thing...he'd have an instant classic on his hands. This could absolutely be a great movie or television show, as well. I'm salty. This is a sad and salty rambling post and I apologize. 

I do encourage you to go out and read this one. It really is so good. However, I do want to save you from heartbreak so...maybe don't. I will miss you Zenith (that's the plant's name) and I hope we meet again. 

Now it's time to go back to the world of short stories because up next is King's second short story collection, Skeleton Crew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RanKING

I have randomly decided that in addition to reading these books, I'm also going to rank them from my most favorite to least favorite. I will do this as I read and I will add in the books I've already read after I re-read them. I also apologize for the horrible pun in the title but I couldn't pass it up :) All right! Here's my ever-changing list: The Long Walk It The Shining Pet Sematary The Institute Misery The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass Black House Needful Things Dolores Claiborne The Green Mile The Regulators The Dark Tower: The Wastelands Insomnia Firestarter The Talisman The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla Christine The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger The Outsider The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three Desperation Rose Madder Bag of Bones Cujo The Dark Half Different Seasons Salem's Lot The Stand Hearts in Atlantis The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon From a Buick 8 Gerald's Game Everything's Eventual Four Past Midnight The Plant (unfinished) Thinner Rage The De

What am I doing?

Being a true Mainer, while my mother was pregnant with me, she was reading a book by Stephen King. Specifically she was reading The Dark Half by Stephen King. In that book there is a character named Shayla and that is where my name came from. Growing up in Maine already gives you a sense of closeness with Mr. King but having him be the reason for my namesake always drew me even closer to him. In fact, for my 23rd birthday I was gifted with Stephen King’s personal copy of The Dark Half that he signed for me.  I grew up watching many Stephen King shows and movies and read a few books. My favorite book of all time being The Long Walk by Stephen King, himself. All in all, however, I’ve only read about 5 of Mr. King’s books in total. I feel like this weird connection and fascination I have with him has ultimately only led me to one place. And that place is right here, preparing to read all his books. With all honesty, I get crazy ideas like this all the time but only seldom do I see anyt

The Long Walk (1979)

Before Reading:  I could go on and on and on about The Long Walk and I will (after I re-read it). For now I’m just going to keep it short and sweet. Remember when I said that I love Rage and have it on my bookshelf? Well I really love The Long Walk and have TWO copies of it on my bookshelf. The Long Walk is my absolute number one favorite book...ever. I even rank it above Harry Potter (which, if you know me, is saying a lot). When I was younger I was drawn to The Long Walk because it mentioned my hometown. But oh my God, this story is so great. You cringe, cry, laugh, and everything in between when you read it—or at least I do. It takes a lot for me to get emotionally invested in a book (or anything, really) but I feel so attached to this story. All of the characters and their lives are so real to me when I read this one. Also, Hunger Games-esque dystopia is my absolute favorite genre and The Long Walk is one of the best. I’m very much looking forward to re-reading this one, as I alway