Skip to main content

Cell (2006)



Before reading: What do I know about Cell? I know there was a movie that people do not like. I know it's about cell phones. I know people enjoy the book. And that's about it! I guess I'll have to read it to learn more, so let's go. 

After reading: Welp. I think this story would be quite different if it were written today and I, for one, would be a goner. I did really enjoy this book! It was an interesting little read, for sure. It definitely felt a little preachy in terms of it obviously being about "phone zombies" but the story was enjoyable, regardless. I've also never really seen this concept done before. I appreciate being able to read something that is unique and unlike anything that I have read before. I wouldn't rave about this story or call it one of King's bests, but I would call it solid and enjoyable. 

While this is not a traditional zombie story, it is a zombie story. Which, interestingly enough, this is our first zombie genre book from King. King is a well-known Romero fan and this book is actually dedicated to him. There were a lot of references and some fun archetypical literal tidbits throughout. The story starts with the action immediately and never stops. We are in it from beginning to end and for an action-packed zombie read, I'm not sure what else you could really ask for. 

King is so good at ensembles and writing books about characters who are in a situation rather than a situation with characters. So of course, the characters are the heart of this book. It has a great cast with some really great moments as well as some very sad ones. The book is about cell phones turning people into zombies but there is a lot of heart. I find that King could write about a very silly topic but as long as his characters are believable, you'll stick around for the ride. That's the case with this one, as well. The idea might seem a little corny but it doesn't feel that way when you're reading because you are so immersed in the story and attached to the characters. 

Of course, this is also a story that has a lot of action, gore and violence. You get it all. At the end of the day, yeah, there is a message. I said this story would be a lot different if it was written today. That is because in 2006, not everyone had a cell phone. So when the "pulse" happens in the story, you have a large group of people who did not have phones and weren't affected. The thought of this story happening now is a lot scarier. If an alert got sent to our phones that turned us into zombies...I, for one, would fall victim. Unless, of course, if it was like how it is in the book and was done through a phone call. If that was the case I would be safe because I am not answering 😂

All that to say, this book might not be the best or have the most riveting concept, but it is an enjoyable and very readable story. I would definitely recommend. I am unsure how they screwed up the movie because I feel like King basically handed them a perfect script. So, if you have seen the movie and that is the reason you haven't read this one, I would encourage you to separate the two. 

Speaking of strong characters, our next read is Lisey's Story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RanKING

I have randomly decided that in addition to reading these books, I'm also going to rank them from my most favorite to least favorite. I will do this as I read and I will add in the books I've already read after I re-read them. I also apologize for the horrible pun in the title but I couldn't pass it up :) All right! Here's my ever-changing list: The Long Walk It The Shining Pet Sematary The Institute Misery The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass The Dark Tower Black House Needful Things Dolores Claiborne The Green Mile The Regulators The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands Insomnia Firestarter The Talisman The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla Christine The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah The Outsider The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three Desperation Rose Madder Lisey's Story Bag of Bones Cujo The Dark Half Different Seasons Salem's Lot The Stand Hearts in Atlantis The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon Cell From a Buick 8 Gerald's Game Everything'

The Long Walk (1979)

Before Reading:  I could go on and on and on about The Long Walk and I will (after I re-read it). For now I’m just going to keep it short and sweet. Remember when I said that I love Rage and have it on my bookshelf? Well I really love The Long Walk and have TWO copies of it on my bookshelf. The Long Walk is my absolute number one favorite book...ever. I even rank it above Harry Potter (which, if you know me, is saying a lot). When I was younger I was drawn to The Long Walk because it mentioned my hometown. But oh my God, this story is so great. You cringe, cry, laugh, and everything in between when you read it—or at least I do. It takes a lot for me to get emotionally invested in a book (or anything, really) but I feel so attached to this story. All of the characters and their lives are so real to me when I read this one. Also, Hunger Games-esque dystopia is my absolute favorite genre and The Long Walk is one of the best. I’m very much looking forward to re-reading this one, as I alway

What am I doing?

Being a true Mainer, while my mother was pregnant with me, she was reading a book by Stephen King. Specifically she was reading The Dark Half by Stephen King. In that book there is a character named Shayla and that is where my name came from. Growing up in Maine already gives you a sense of closeness with Mr. King but having him be the reason for my namesake always drew me even closer to him. In fact, for my 23rd birthday I was gifted with Stephen King’s personal copy of The Dark Half that he signed for me.  I grew up watching many Stephen King shows and movies and read a few books. My favorite book of all time being The Long Walk by Stephen King, himself. All in all, however, I’ve only read about 5 of Mr. King’s books in total. I feel like this weird connection and fascination I have with him has ultimately only led me to one place. And that place is right here, preparing to read all his books. With all honesty, I get crazy ideas like this all the time but only seldom do I see anyt