Skip to main content

Gwendy's Final Task (2022)

Before reading: Yay Gwendy! I'm excited to finish this trilogy. I did read the second one a while back and did not create a post on it because King did not contribute to it. I definitely did not like it as much as the first one. I was also surprised how much King lore it had in it without King working on it. Either way, I'm ready to see how this one ends.

After reading:

I was not expecting this book and trilogy to be so deep into the Dark Tower. It was exciting to read "there are other worlds than these" the night before King's new book drops. I think I would've liked Gwendy's story to have been one read and I definitely recommend getting the completed trilogy book and just reading it straight through (unless you're reading King in order). I enjoyed this final story, especially more so toward the end, but the first one was definitely my favorite of the three. If you are a Dark Tower fan and you haven't read this one, it is definitely a must-read. The story ended kind of sad but kind of beautiful. Towards the end it was giving me Life of Chuck vibes. 

It was interesting to grow with a character, I feel like we don't do that too often with King. I also found it very fun to get to see what is going on with the Tower years after the original series ended. These were definitely fun little reads. Nothing too crazy, nothing profound by any means. But they were entertaining, palatable reads that I would definitely recommend. 

With this being so short and having already discussed earlier parts of the story, there really isn't too much to say. I liked Gwendy and I had a good time reading her story. I think this is definitely a little bit of a hidden gem in the King repertoire. 

I am very excited that up next is Fairy Tale.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RanKING

I have randomly decided that in addition to reading these books, I'm also going to rank them from my most favorite to least favorite. I will do this as I read and I will add in the books I've already read after I re-read them. I also apologize for the horrible pun in the title but I couldn't pass it up :) All right! Here's my ever-changing list: The Long Walk It The Shining Pet Sematary The Institute Misery The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass 11/22/63 The Dark Tower Black House Revival Under the Dome Needful Things Dolores Claiborne The Green Mile Duma Key End of Watch Finders Keepers Mr. Mercedes The Regulators The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands Insomnia Gwendy's Button Box Firestarter The Talisman The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla Christine The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah The Outsider The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three Desperation Rose Madder Doctor Sleep Gwendy's Final Task Lisey...

The Long Walk (1979)

Before Reading:  I could go on and on and on about The Long Walk and I will (after I re-read it). For now I’m just going to keep it short and sweet. Remember when I said that I love Rage and have it on my bookshelf? Well I really love The Long Walk and have TWO copies of it on my bookshelf. The Long Walk is my absolute number one favorite book...ever. I even rank it above Harry Potter (which, if you know me, is saying a lot). When I was younger I was drawn to The Long Walk because it mentioned my hometown. But oh my God, this story is so great. You cringe, cry, laugh, and everything in between when you read it—or at least I do. It takes a lot for me to get emotionally invested in a book (or anything, really) but I feel so attached to this story. All of the characters and their lives are so real to me when I read this one. Also, Hunger Games-esque dystopia is my absolute favorite genre and The Long Walk is one of the best. I’m very much looking forward to re-reading this one, as I a...

What am I doing?

Being a true Mainer, while my mother was pregnant with me, she was reading a book by Stephen King. Specifically she was reading The Dark Half by Stephen King. In that book there is a character named Shayla and that is where my name came from. Growing up in Maine already gives you a sense of closeness with Mr. King but having him be the reason for my namesake always drew me even closer to him. In fact, for my 23rd birthday I was gifted with Stephen King’s personal copy of The Dark Half that he signed for me.  I grew up watching many Stephen King shows and movies and read a few books. My favorite book of all time being The Long Walk by Stephen King, himself. All in all, however, I’ve only read about 5 of Mr. King’s books in total. I feel like this weird connection and fascination I have with him has ultimately only led me to one place. And that place is right here, preparing to read all his books. With all honesty, I get crazy ideas like this all the time but only seldom do I see ...